Youth Opportunities Unlimited, Inc. (Y.O.U.) (formerly known as Trips for Kids New Bedford) mission is to foster youth development in the Greater New Bedford Community. This innovative model of youth development provides youngsters (9- 16yrs) with opportunities to learn and grow in a safe, supportive & challenging environment. The program promotes optimal health and well-being for all participants. It allows much individual attention and encourages all students to have a voice in their own experience and learning. With an emphasis on experiential education, the teaching staff creates opportunities for “inquiry-based instruction” and “learning in context” by following students’ natural curiosity and individual interests. On a typical day, students & teachers depart The Warming House by bicycle and head to various destinations on the southend peninsula of the City.
From the outset, we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating opportunities that respond to youth interest. So when participants began requesting to use bike tools in the evenings, “Bike Shop” came to be! Then one rainy day and a few smoothies later, our Food for Thought program was born. Our most recent addition, the Children’s Garden, was born of an interesting story beginning with guerilla gardening and the tomato-induced exclamation, “Let’s plant some!”
From bikes and kayaks to our imaginations and own two feet, these are the tools of exploration, discovery, and adventure at Y.O.U. We are a small non-profit making a big impact in the lives of New Bedford youth!
- Explore Your Environment https://www.younb.org/exploring-your-environment/
- Spring/Fall Urban Explorers https://www.younb.org/urban-explorers/
- Food for Thought Cooking Program https://www.younb.org/food-for-thought/
- Bike Maintenance and Repair Shop Program https://www.younb.org/bicycle-maintenance-repair/
- Victory Park Children's Garden https://www.younb.org/victory-park-childrens-garden/